This project concerned the refurbishment of the university’s Old Physics Building and the International and Post Graduate Study Centre, as well as around 3,000m2 of the New Physics Building.
The buildings are located adjacent to each other on the university’s main site in the Queen’s Conservation Area. The refurbishment of the Old Physics Building was the first phase of the project, with the creation of the new Teaching Centre - subject to completion of refurbishment of the Lynn Building - forming the second phase, and the refurbishment of the New Physics Building being the third phase.
The Old Physics Building, a three storey gothic-style brick clad building of approximately 1,800m2 GIA, was completed in 1911 and is grade B listed. The IPSC is a three storey brick clad framed building of approximately 1,950m2 GIA, completed in 1996. Ventilation plant is located in the roof space. The New Physics Building is a four storey (including basement) brick clad framed building of approximately 9,000m2 GIA, completed in 1962.
The works predominantly involved internal re-planning and refurbishment of all three buildings, as well as some work to the external fabric and decants.